Baxt Communications Communications Consultant – 2011 to Present Develop, write and edit articles, web pages, case statements, white papers and news releases for hospitals, research institutes, universities and other organizations. Contribute to internal and external communications strategies. Translate complex scientific and medical jargon into user-friendly text.
Sanford-Burnham Medical Research Institute
Associate Director of Scientific Communications –2008 to 2011 Wrote and edited newsletters, press releases, brochures, blog and other media. Educated press, donors, board members, employees and public about basic biomedical research by:
- Creating, writing and editing scientific blog.
- Overseeing publications through all phases of production within budget and deadline.
- Creating, writing and editing monthly internal newsletter.
- Developing video production and editing capability.
- Developing social media presence.
- Building relationships with local and national press.
- Working effectively with multinational scientific staff.
Scripps Health Publications Manager, Marketing/Communications –2005 to 2008 Communications Associate, Scripps Health Foundation –1998 to 2004 Wrote and edited newsletters with circulations up to 11,000. Enhanced donor and public awareness about health care, research and philanthropy by:
- Writing and editing quarterly philanthropic magazine.
- Writing and editing monthly internal newsletters.
- Creating brochures, annual reports, case statements and other publications.
- Maintaining website.
EDUCATION San Diego State University, San Diego, California Master of Fine Arts, Creative Writing
James Madison University, Harrisonburg, Virginia Bachelor of Arts, History